Malus domestica, Apple Tree
Broad tree with dense twigs, leaves are alternate and oval. Spring flowers are white with five petals, and fruit ripens in autumn.
Low, only when horses exposed to apple groves or high quantities of the fruit.
The fruit is fine, but the seeds are highly toxic, as are the stems and leaves, especially when they are wilting.
Red mucus membranes, dilated pupils, hyperventilation, depression, colic, convulsions.
Ingestion of seeds or wilted leaves can be fatal.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.