Juglans nigra, Black Walnut Tree
Tree with alternate leaves and smaller leaflets. Nut has a thick husk.
Can be found in bedding shavings, even a small amount can be toxic.
Occur about eight hourse after ingestion, mild depression, lack of appetite, fluid swelling in the legs, increased heart rate, heavy breathing, fever, digestive disturbances and colic.
Unpalatable, however animals will eat them if they have no other source of forage. These trees should be removing from grazing areas.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.