Tuberous perennial herb. Leaves grow alternately and are arrow shaped, variegated and brightly colored. Flowers grow in a spadix surrounded by a spathe.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable. Generally used as an ornamental plant.
All parts of the plant are toxic, highest concentration in the leaves.
Burning and irritation of the lips, mouth and tongue, gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea. Physical contact with the sap can create irritation on the skin.
Contains calcium oxalate crystals.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.