A small evergreen shrub with thorns on purple / brown stems and branches, can grow up to 3 feet. Leaves are oval shaped and few in number. Flowers grow in clusters and are bright red.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable with big thorns.
The whole plant is toxic. The thorns can cause mechanical damage to mouth and throat area.
Irritation, blistering and swelling of mouth and gastrointestinal upset, hemorrhage and diarrhea, excess drooling, weakness.
Contains phorbol esters which can alter enzyme and protein functions. Can promote tumors and cytoskeletal damage. Death is rare.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.