Mushroom with a wide, smooth green / yellow pigmented cap which can be sticky. Gills are white, crowded and finely attached to the stalk. In younger death caps a fine membrane covers the gills. Stalk is white and grows up to six inches and has a bulb at the base.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable.
The entire thing is toxic.
Occur within 10-16 hours after ingestion and include gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, jaundice of mucous membranes, coma and death.
Contain amatoxins and even a small dose can be fatal.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.