Evergreen shrub or tree which can grow to 50 feet. Leaves are dull green, thick and hourglass (or fiddle) shaped. Flowers are small and nondescript. Fruit is fleshy, round and green.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable.
Plant sap is toxic and irritates on contact.
Itching, redness and swelling of the mouth and throat, gastrointestinal upset, colic.
Could not locate the name of the toxic principle or if it ever caused fatalities in horses.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.