Annual with a hairy stem which can grow four to six feet. Leaves are hairy, and have small leaflets. Flowers are purple to red, very small and grow in a row on one side of the flower stalk. Fruit grows in one inch pods.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable.
The entire plant is toxic.
Welts on skin, hair loss, thickening of skin, itching, peeling of skin around mucous membranes, swollen lymph nodes, abnormal behavior, excessive noise, lack of coordination, convulsions, death.
An unknown toxin causes an immune-mediated disease. Can be fatal.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.