Medium tree with green leaves that have bright red stems, in fall leaves go bright red. Bark is smooth and gray on young trees and dark on older trees. Flowers are red.
High after storms that can cause leaves and branches to fall within reach of grazers. Two pounds of leaves can be fatal to a full-grown horse.
Wilted leaves the most toxic.
Darkening of mucous membranes, weakness, lack of appetite, central nervous system depression, dark, discolored urine, shallow breathing, high pulse, dehydration, abortion in pregnant mares.
An unknown toxic component does damage to red blood cells. Death can occur between 18 hours and 10 days after ingestion.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.