Evergreen shrub with flat, needle-like leaves 1/2 inch to 1 inch long. Berries are red or yellow, soft, and have a hole where the seed is visible.
Due to high toxicity concern for this plant is always high, a handful is enough to kill a horse. Generally used in ornamental planting.
All parts, especially the leaves.
Lack of coordination, trembling, collapse, sudden death can occur without any showing signs when animal is moved / exercised.
Contains taxine an alkaloid that that depresses the heart muscle. Even in moderate amounts the resulting digestive upset could end in death. Larger amounts will end in sudden death.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.