Horseradish – Toxic Plant of the Week


Image from Ude

Welcome to another Monday edition in the terrifying alphabet of plants your horse can’t eat. Today’s plant is another one that sounds horse friendly, but while Horseradish is friendly to people, it’s not friendly to your horse.

A Little About Horseradish

Cochlearia amoracia is also called Horseradish. This is a perennial plant that can grow up to five feet tall. Toothed leaves grow alternately and white flowers are small with four petals.

How Dangerous Is It?

This plant is unpalatable to equines and generally only a threat during drought conditions. It’s worth watching out for, but takes ingesting a large quantity for toxicity to occur. This plant contains glucosinolates which irritate the digestive system.

The roots of this plant are toxic to equines.


Image from Ies

What To Look For

You know your animal the best, so you should know when something is amiss. Horseradish toxicity symptoms include gastrointestinal upset, sweating, loss of coordination, weakness and disorientation.

Learn More

Be sure to check out the Horseradish page to learn more about the plant and while you are at it why not check out more toxic plants?

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

*It should be noted that I’m not a veterinarian. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.