Grow in clumps, Leaves are round and hollow and grow to 9 inches. Stems are firm and smooth and dark green. Flowers grow in purple / pink globes.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable. However chives are toxic enough to keep your horses away from them, (they are not toxic to humans, and regularly used in food).
All parts of the plant are toxic.
Weakness, lightened gums, slow loss of blood from secondary wounds is generally what creates symptoms.
Contain a toxic compound called N-propyl disulfide (or allicin) which damages red blood cells and creates anemia.
Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.