Large evergreen or deciduous shrub or tree with large, oblong leaves that grow in a spiral arrangement. Flowers are white / purple / rose / red / yellow / orange, grow in showy clusters of bell shaped blooms.
Only during drought conditions, unpalatable. Generally used in ornamental planting.
The entire plant is toxic.
Occur within a few hours of ingestion, digestive upset, drooling, lack of appetite, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, lack of coordination, stupor, paralysis of the legs, weak heart rate, death.
Contains Grayanotoxin which affects skeletal and cardiac muscle and nerve function. Can be fatal.
*It should be noted that we are not veterinarians. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.