Apple Leaf Croton – Toxic Plant of the Week

Apple leaf croton

Image from Nooks

It’s toxic plant Monday again and time to take another look at another of the plants that are poisonous to horses. Today we look at a colorful plant that grows both inside & outside, the Apple Leaf Croton is beautiful but deadly

A Little About The Croton

Codiaeum varigatum pictum is Apple Leaf Croton and I couldn’t find any more common names. This is a perennial that comes in a wide variety of colors and this species has leaves the vibrant red & golden of ripe apples.

How Dangerous Is It?

Crotons are commonly planted in ornamental gardens or used as houseplants so horses rarely have access to them. However their high toxicity means that horses should be kept away from them.

This whole plant is toxic & can be fatal to equines.

Apple leaf croton

Image from van swearingen

What To Look For

You know your animal the best, so you should know when something is amiss. Apple leaf croton toxicity doesn’t actually display many physical symptoms other than diarrhea, which makes them especially dangerous. Ingestion can cause inflammation & erosion of intestines, heart hemorrhage and liver and/or kidney function decline.

Learn More

Be sure to check out the Apple Leaf Croton page to learn more about the plant and while you are at it why not check out more toxic plants?

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

*It should be noted that I’m not a veterinarian. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.