Hyacinth – Toxic Plant of the Week

Hyacinth
Welcome to another Monday and yet another member in the a-z of plants your horse can’t eat. Today’s plant is a colorful beauty with a light lovely fragrance. The Hyacinth is pretty to look at, but keep it far away from your horse.

A Little About Hyacinth

Hyacinthus orientalis is more commonly called Hyacinth. This is a bulbous plant with shiny green strap-shaped leaves. Flowers are small, trumpet shaped, waxy and blue/white/yellow/pink/red.

How Dangerous Is It?

This plant is unpalatable to equines and generally only a threat during drought conditions. Often used in ornamental planting and gardens, the plant itself isn’t toxic, it’s the bulb that you have to watch out for.

The bulb of this plant is toxic and can be fatal to equines.

Hyacinth

What To Look For

You know your animal the best, so you should know when something is amiss. Hyacinth toxicity symptoms include gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, loss of coordination and convulsions.

Learn More

Be sure to check out the Hyacinth page to learn more about the plant and while you are at it why not check out more toxic plants?

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

*It should be noted that I’m not a veterinarian. This information is written specifically for horses and should be used for reference purposes only. If you think your horse has eaten something toxic call your vet right away.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>